Sunday, October 5, 2008

Two Months Home and Things I Know and Appreciate


This blog started as a record of our journey to Elizabeth and has become my journal of her life. Monday marks 2 months since we've been home with our little girl. Though we've had normal challenges that any parent goes through, we've also had the challenges of bringing home a toddler. These last two months have revealed intimate changes that John and I have noticed.
1) From the beginning each morning she woke she would call out to her mates. This was one of several tearful events in which I had to watch. She would reach her hand out and cry dah dah dah over and over again. Nothing I said or did would stop this longing for the friends she had spent two years of her life with. This continued for a while. The first morning in our home while she did this, I just cried. I tried to tell her how sorry I was for her missing her friends and how sorry I was for those children not having a home. I tried to tell her that the caregivers loved them and cared for them. I am so happy to say that she no longer does this. She wakes up laughing and babbling. She has the most wonderful smile on her face each morning when we go into her room. For a while the look was like "I can't believe you are still here", but now its just a smile knowing that we will always be here.
2) We noticed in the beginning how hairy she was. My thoughts at the time were that her "new born" hairy body had not lost the hair due to her tiny thin malnourished body. It seems my thoughts were correct. She now has lost the extra fine hair that once covered her body. I am grateful!
3) When we met her in April her hair was so thin. Now her hair is thicker than we've ever seen it and shines. Amazing what good food will do for you.
4) Numbers speak and the number show her gaining weight, but what I see are her fingers. Then her fingers were thin bones with just skin over them. I described her to my mother as "a little old lady" John described her as a cancer patient. Now those fingers are those of a healthy two year old. Again I'm very grateful for good food.
5) She no longer sucks her tongue when she is nervous. Adopting a child that you don't know is a scary thing. You pull apart every detail and wonder what it means and what it means for the future. We did this in April. Elizabeth constantly sucked her tongue. We took pictures, emailed and discussed this with our International Adoption doctor. We were concerned. But as it turns out this was her "nervous" copping mechanism. During our trip in July and our days rolled by at Teremok this habit would disappear at times. Now I can't remember the last time I saw her suck her tongue. I am releaved that she no longer feels nervous around us.
6) Hunger. She no longer eats like she'll never get food again. Our "snack" time at Teremok would break our hearts. This child seemed so hungry and would pick every little crumb up and eat it. Now she understands there is always food - in fact likes to share her food with anyone interested. I love the details of her well nourished body!
7) She knows we are her parents. All I've read and been told has informed be that bonding and attachment would make all the difference. Bonding/attachment would cause increased appetite, better play time, just general growth and development. We both worked on this from the beginning, sometimes at the expense of family members who wanted to care for her. For their feelings "I'm sorry" for our daughters well being I'm grateful. She picks us out of a crowd, comes to us for comfort, and simply misses us when we are away. I'm grateful that my daughter has a Mom and Dad that SHE knows she has a Mom and Dad. This I think has fixed everything!!!! Thank God for the opportunity to adopt.

There are simple things I appreciate about Elizabeth:
the sound of her laughter
her kisses and hugs
her running to John and hugging him when he gets home
seeing her eat
hearing her new words
watching her play
watching her dance

There are simple things I appreciate about John:
the way he looks at Elizabeth
the time he spends with his family
not working as much as he used to
getting up with her at night
feeding, bathing, changing her
his honesty and devotion to me

I am so thankful for the gifts in my life. If you would have asked me 20 years ago if this is what/where I would be the answer would be "NO". I would not change anything! I love my family and as I've learned, the love for Elizabeth grows more each day. I have been blessed. - Lee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest thing I have read in a long time. My eyes still have tears in them. That is the sweetest face ever!!! She look's to be so happy in her surroundings. I love the pictures of the beach and her in the yard. You can really see how she has changed especially in her little face. It has filled out alot. Parenthood is a wonderful thing and ya'll are so blessed. Thanks so much for still writing on the blog. I still love to see what she is into and how she loves her life now and her mommy and daddy. I hope the she enjoys dressing up for Halloween and the cute little pumpkins and all to be Thankful for and then Santa!!! How fun this will be for all of ya'll. Take care
Adrienne Wages

Anonymous said...

...and I am blessed to call you my friend. Love, Emily

Beth White said...

What a beautiful post!

Beth and Adam White