Our journey thus far has proven to be the happiest and most challenging adventure John and I have partaking of. Becoming first time parents is challenging whether through birth or adoption. Bringing home a two year old who doesn't speak, doesn't eat solid foods, has attachment disorder, and has lots of catching up to do both physically and developmentally has even more challenges. I think we have both struggled with our own parenting securities. There is no book, there is no right way or wrong way. We question ourselves and each other often to see if the guidance we are offering her will lead to our ultimate goal for her...A very happy, strong, secure, independent woman who has a charitable soul. What I do know is that she loves us, both of us!! Misses us when we are gone. She is happy most of the time, she has grown both physically and developmentally, she eats typical toddler food and challenges us with wanting "snacks" more than real food. We've even put her to bed hungry because of the "snack" issue - I would have NEVER done that 6 months ago. I think that alone shows progress!!. Since being home Elizabeth's pediatrician has kept a very close eye on her - we visit often. Today was her last!! :) Dr. Aldgridge thinks she is adjusting well and that we can stop the frequent visits. She now weighs 23 lbs 13.7 oz (about 6 lbs since "gotcha") is 33 inches tall (about a 3 inch gain). She still babbles a lot but has a wide variety of words that she uses. Her favorite things are to swing, the slide, reading, dancing, and singing. Her least favorite things are the dogs.
As we struggle with the choices in how we guide her along lifes way, we are reminded daily of how far she has come. I often think about what could have been for her and cry. God has blessed all of us and I don't take it for granted!!
When in Moscow I started singing her a song that just flowed from my heart. I call it "Little Elizabeth". She has recently started singing it as she plays. It warms my heart ...
Some new pictures for you. Boo-boo on her nose from falling down our drive way. Painting self titled "CIRCLES". Hope all of you are well. -Lee
1 comment:
Oh, her poor little nose. :(
Great update. I'm glad things are going so well! I remember waiting until that "magical" 6 month time frame btdt people talked about. How your routine should be set, they can start having more of a conversation with you, etc. I have such wonderful memories of that time with my girls. We're coming up on 4 years, which is hard to believe, but it just keeps getting better & better!
Post a Comment