Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Slobber

I've been re-reading a book titled "Two Little Girls". I read this book during the initial paperwork phase of the adoption. It was a great example of the struggle involved in adoption. Now as I re-read it I'm struck by the similarities of our worlds. Example: I've looked at the plane trip home from Russia with utter exhaustion. This child clung to me, screamed at the top of her lungs if I went to the restroom without her. Would not leave my lap - 12 hours + worth of attention she was paying me. By the time I got to my house I was exhausted. Looking back, with the re-read in tow, I see now that this was the beginning of attachment. Now, how my view of the flight home has changed!! I am grateful!!
In the beginning I had to make Elizabeth let me hold her before she went to sleep, this was often a battle. A battle that others with a 2 year old would not have endured. Others would have simply but her to bed and said "thank God she can put her self to sleep". I knew, I knew this was not the right thing to do - a child needs a mother. I am so thankful for enduring that battle. Now, like tonight when she doesn't feel ,she wants me to rock her to sleep. I have slobber on my shoulder to prove it. A child does need a mother - especially when she doesn't feel well.

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it - THANK GOD FOR ADOPTION-WHAT A BLESSING THIS IS TO MY LIFE AND HERS!!

1 comment:

Our Family Adventures!! said...

I would love the info on that book you mentioned and would also love to pick your brain with regards to Russian adopted children and pre-kindergarten. The little girl we're adopting will be 4 next summer. I'm not sure about starting her in pre-K that fall, will depend on how long she's home. What did you look for in deciding when was the right time to start school? You can email me at Rebecca.L.Johnson@hotmail.com

I'd love any advice you might have to give!