Fellow bloggers are picking today to post their truth. I am joining to speak our truth.
Our truth is much like any truth of a developing family. John and I were two. We added Elizabeth and became three. Family before Elizabeth and family after Elizabeth. A family, a family! A family not to be dissolved, but to blend.
Those first couple of months with her were challenging, exhausting, and scary. I worked hard at providing a simple, loving home with routine for the three of us. This child for the first two years of her life had no one to call her own. Was she loved before us? - sure. I meet those caregivers. They loved her dearly, but they were not her parents. For almost two years now we have been her parents. Parents who teach, love, discipline, become disappointed with her actions, and beam with pride for her accomplishments. We are her parents until we die.
Not only did Elizabeth get parents that wonderful summer day nearly two years ago; she got so much more. She has the most wonderful grandparents who think she is the most special gift ever. They care for her, rejoice, reward, discipline, and give unconditional love to her. Cousins, uncles, aunts, and our friends have all embraced her. She has a family - A FAMILY.
The truth, do I long for an afternoon nap, a hair cut when I need it not 2 months later, would I like to eat a meal without getting up, would I like to have a conversation with my husband and finish it - YES! Do I really care - NO!!!!! What I care about is being Elizabeth's mother. The judge asked me why I would want to take on a child that was not my own, why would I want to do her laundry, clean up after her, and cook for her. My answer "Because she needs a Mother and that's what Mothers do". I think about this question every single time I fold her cloths. I am privileged to be her mother. I am privileged to fold her cloths.
The truth, its not all a fantasy land. There are times where we are done. We have to tag out, but that's what we do - tag out. Then come back for more. That's what a family does. We don't give up, we don't walk away. We find our resources, we take turns, we know when to say when. Are these times often - NO. We are the lucky ones. Elizabeth is caring, sweet, funny, full of energy, eager to learn, and the light of my life. There are those who have major issues albeit health, developmental, or behavioural challenges. Those that I know seek help. They keep plugging along. Family - that's what we all do.
So the truth - I am eternally grateful to all who were involved in the placement of Elizabeth in our lives. I will always love and care for her.
We are the truth. WE ARE THE TRUTH. A family FOREVER and EVER!
Lee
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love love love this! We miss you guys!
So well said. The two of you have done a wonderful job giving Elizabeth a solid family. I'm very proud of you. Sharon/Mom/Grandma
Post a Comment