Monday, July 28, 2008

Moments

I’m awake way to early this morning. My anticipation of today drove me out of bed. I’ve spent some time this morning reflecting on the moments of our journey. Most of the “important” moments have been very anticlimactic. You build yourself up for the day you get the call, when you see her first picture, and making plans to visit. The truth is, even though these moments I remember, they were not nearly as all inspiring as one may think. The task at hand always stole this wonderful feeling away. Then you finally get here for the first time to meet this little one that you’ve been working for years to meet and the room is so crowded and information in being thrown at you from multiple people that when they bring this little mite in, you have stimulation overload. Then there are other things like the judge’s ruling that seemed more of a relief than anything all due to his disposition. As my thoughts continue down this road, I’m struck with the moments that have caught me off guard. These are the moments that Hallmark commercials are made of. The first was December 28, 2006, the day we got our approval from immigration to bring a child into the US. That day I not only knew that we would be parents, but a lucky person would be able to become an American citizen. I cried for 20 solid minutes. The next came not at my first meeting of this little lady, but April 17, 2008, that day I fell in love. She was sleeping in my arms and the tears were pouring “how can I leave this little thing over here without a mother”. Finally, the most overwhelming moment was our first visit after 3 months. That day I stopped talking to the people in the room when our little darling walked in – the emotions were so great that I could not pick her up. These are the moments – the ones not planned for, the ones that sneak up on you. I look forward to the planned special events of our life together, but based on the small history I look forward even more to the moments that sneak up on you.
We are leaving at 9am for paperwork stuff, then hopefully on to Teremok for the last time. I will post pictures upon our return - Lee

No comments: