Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gotcha Day....Family Day


Getting dressed to leave Teremok.


Her caregivers. Notice she is reaching for me. She was ready to go. We were grateful!

Today marks one year since John and I picked up Elizabeth from Teremok, her home for the first two years of her life. I've been reflecting back on our time in Russia lately. Having those days with her at Teremok was such a gift. By the time Gotcha Day came she was READY to go with us. I'll never forget being upstairs in her play room. The caregivers walked out with a wet naked little girl and handed her to me to dress. Elizabeth was smiling, she was so very happy to see us. The caregivers cried when we left. These ladies care about these children so very much. We spent another week in Russia after that, then it was home sweet home.


It has truly been an amazing year. I was able to stay at home with Elizabeth for several months, then return to work only 2 days a week. This has been a wonderful gift! She and I have so much fun together. When I go somewhere without her I feel that I've forgotten something. She has recently become a Daddy's girl. She often tells me to "go" when I interrupt their time. She cries for him when I put her down for naps. Sometimes she is crying so hard that I have to call him for her to hear his voice. Its the sweetest thing I've ever witnessed. We are a happy family!!

This year has presented some challenges: eating, bonding/attachment, catch up with growth and development, normal toddler discipline issues, and John and I changing our life style. But here we sit a year down the road and we are happy, healthy, and completely madly in love with each other. And for those keeping up; she is 10 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller!!
There are so many wonderful dates to remember along this journey, but today is the most special day of all. Today she became ours, we became a family today forever and ever. So today the three of us spent the day together celebrating family.
Here are a few photos from last year and from today.

Adoption is a wonderful gift given to all three of us!! So happy Gotcha Day and Happy Family Day

.

3 comments:

Our Family Adventures!! said...

YAY for one year!!! Congratulations on everything that has happened in the past year since you brought your little girl home. We can't wait to bring our little girl home from the Teremok specialized orphanage. Our little girl is at the same one your little girl was at, but in a separate building/section for children with medical needs!! I can't wait to meet the wonderful caregivers at Teremok!!

Our Family Adventures!! said...

I'll take snow, ice, sleet, whatever Russia can throw at us, I just want our little girl HOME! I have heard that the snow is beautiful during winter and not as much of it in Tver and Moscow, just enough to be pretty. I'm just wondering how crazy the drivers are when it snows though!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Happy Gotcha Day! She is doing so great! I hope you all have had a great week celebrating!